Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Friday, September 21, 2012

A Hunter's Checklist


Have you built a hunter's checklist.  Here is a start.
Perhaps it is my navy training because I like checklists.  It is my security blanket; of sorts.

My rifle and day pack.
This morning while going through the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (ODFW) web page I came across a recommended hunter’s checklist.   Read the checklist by ODFW here.

It is a start.  This list is designed to be tailored to the hunter’s specific needs.  Per the website:

Below is a list of recommended items to take with you in the field. However, individual needs and preferences may require an individual to take more than the recommended items below. Use good judgment and remember: It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

A quick evaluation of items that I like:

·         Carry one full day of food

·         Map & Compass

·         $20 in cash (I hadn’t thought of that)

·         2 knives and a sharpening stone

There are more but those jump out.

I would add several items that include:

·         A GPS

·         Shelter to replace a space blanket

·         The Ten Essentials

·         Fire starter (more than matches)

·         My locator beacon (SPOT)

I’ll print out the ODFW list and compare it with my older list to ensure I’ve not forgotten anything.  That is the security mentioned earlier.

For another comprehensive checklist, visit Peter Kummerfeldt’s web page and click on “Contents of Outdoorsafe Daypack” found here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment