Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Monday, June 27, 2016

Smartphone Navigation Apps

It's common in my navigation classes to be asked - what is better, a standalone GPS
receiver (such as a Garmin 64) or smartphone navigation apps?

Philip Werner's blog has a fine post that takes a look at what hikers are using on the trail for backcountry navigation. His post offers a survey of what is most common in the hiking community.

I was gratified to see that a large majority use a traditional paper map and compass.

Smartphone navigation App use is large and from my perspective getting larger.

Thoughtfully, Mr. Werner provides a nice listing of popular smartphone navigation app.

Personally, I'll stick with my waterproof and reliable Garmin 64s.



Considerations When Buying a GPS -

No comments:

Post a Comment