Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Monday, July 25, 2016

Snake Safety

My latest issue of Field and Stream arrived the other day.  On page 14 there is a short article about a fellow who is bitten by a timber rattle snake in Mississippi. His self aid procedures sounded good which were primarily keep calm and get to the local emergency room.  Glad to see there was none of folklore techniques for medical care.

12 vials of anti-venom later he probably thought he was bitten again when the hospital bill rolled in with a charge of $420,000.00.  Though not mentioned, this fellow must have had a pretty lengthy stay in the hospital.

Check out my earlier post on Snakes .  Lots of good info on what to do when hiking in snake country.

If you hike with your pup take special precautions.  For example, I live in the high desert region of Oregon.  Right now I won't let my labs romp through the green foliage near the river and I keep them on a leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment