Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

GPS Batery Power

A frequent question that I get is how long do batteries last?  What can be counted on for GPS battery power.

From my experience the answer is about 12 hours when used continuously.

I have noticed that the "battery power meter" provides OK information.  It seems that four or five power bars last reasonable well initially.  But after the receiver has been on for most of the day, I have noticed that the GPS battery power goes from three bars to two and then one quite quickly.

I keep my GPS powered on all the time.  I like to keep and evaluate the track data.  For example, when I am in the field hunting I discard the batteries at the end of the day, replace with new one, and calibrate the compass.

I particularly like the Duracell and COSTCO batteries.

For short duration hikes I will use the chargeable ENLOOP batteries.  I bought my set at COSTCO. 



No comments:

Post a Comment