Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Monday, March 26, 2018

Power For Your Gear in the Backcountry

A few years ago I posted a short article about power for your gear: (.e.g. GPS receivers.)  Here is an update.

A frequent question that I get is how long do batteries last?  What can be counted on for GPS battery power.

From my experience the answer is about 12 hours when used continuously.

I have noticed that the electronic "battery power meter" provides OK information. The four  power bars last reasonable well initially.  But after the receiver has been on for most of the day, I have noticed that the GPS battery power goes from three bars to two and then one quite quickly.

I keep my GPS powered on all the time.  I l do this to evaluate track data later.  For example, when I am in the field hunting I discard the batteries at the end of the day, replace with new one, and calibrate the compass. I find it handy to replace batteries at camp rather than going through the process in the morning's darkness.  I like to just grab and go in the morning.

I particularly like the Duracell and COSTCO batteries. Rayovac batteries but do not last nearly as long as the others.

For short duration hikes I will use the rechargeable ENELOOP batteries.  I bought my set at COSTCO. I find that the ENELOOP batteries are very versatile, retain the charge a long time, are simple to charge and quickly recharge.

Small sets of 4 are available at some of the big box stores too but they are not cheap.

 I recommend that if your gear uses AA batteries predominately then stick  to those rather than having a mix of AA, C and AAA.


No comments:

Post a Comment