Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Monday, May 13, 2013

GPS Navigation Discussion

Recently a friend emailed me the following thread from a Search and Rescue forum.  The comments below are right on the mark and worth remembering.

"......In the case of a GPS, its' the person following the GPS and relying far too heavily on the technology and not common sense. ......

When I had my class in land navigation, my instructor told me that to accurately navigate one needs at least 2 out of the 3 tools: map, compass, and GPS. A map will give you a picture of what's happening. A compass will tell you what direction reality is. And a GPS will show you where to go. But in all cases, a liberal dose of brain matter must be applied.

The problem is not technology, it's the application of technology. People can be taught the most effective and safe way to apply technology, but there are times even that doesn't solve the problem. I guess what I'm saying is this is what they call "the human element", and with today's technology, there may not be an answer."


I really liked the comment:

            The problem is not technology, it's the application of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment