Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fire Making

Here is my go-to fire making method for survival situations and how to use it.

by Leon Pantenburg

It has been over 10 years since I started any wilderness campfire using any ignition method other than flint and steel.

Part of the reason is that I like to keep my survival skills polished, and the other is that flint and steel is just so effective. I’ve used the method successfully in driving rain and snow, wind and zero degree temperatures. But the old time method would not be my first choice as a survival fire making tool during an emergency.

My number one choice is a combination of cotton balls infused with petroleum jelly and ignited with a magnesium stick.

To read the rest of Leon's post go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment