Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Paracord

My friend Leon has a fine post on storing and caring for his paracord.

There are innumerable  uses for paracord, and a length of it goes in all my survival kits. Here’s how to keep it from becoming an unmanageable tangle.

by Leon Pantenburg

My wife, Debbie, and I had intended to combine a picnic with an afternoon deer hunt. We were going to stop at a cabin on a friend’s land, and Deb intended to sit on the porch and read a good book while I stillhunted the surrounding woods.

Have different lengths of paracord ready to go, and you can grab however much you think might be needed. I always carry a minimum of 25 feet, and usually carry about 150 feet.
Long story short, I didn’t need to go anywhere. As we were discussing the afternoon plans, a herd of deer passed on the nearby ridge. When an eight-point buck edged into the clearing, I dropped him in his tracks with a 145-grain bullet from my 7mm-08 Remington 700. The gear I had along was minimal: a hunting knife, firestarting kit, garbage bag and about 20 feet of paracord.

To read the rest of Leon's post go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment