Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Monday, February 16, 2015

A Go Bag

My last post was about what should go into a hiker's day pack.

Last night I was paging through my March copy of  Washington-Oregon Game & Fish magazine and came across John Geiger's article about a "Special Forces GO Bag."  Geiger uses former Army Special Forces soldier John Peterson's bag contents as an example.

I then did a quick Google search on Go Bags and came up with the following definition:


bug-out bag is a portable kit that normally contains the items one would require to survive for seventy-two hours, when evacuating from a disaster, however some kits are designed to last longer periods of time than just 72 hours. The focus is on evacuation, rather than long-term survival, distinguishing the bug-out bag from a survival kit, a boating or aviation emergency kit, or a fixed-site disaster supplies kit. 

I then did a Google image search and found tons of images of Go or Bug Out bags.

I went back to John Geiger's article and reproduced John Peterson's bag contents.  I did not edit or change the Peterson bag contents.

Recommendation: Compare Peterson's and Kummerfeldt's  bag contents to determine works best for you.  For example, I would suggest updating the Peterson contents with a newer version of the Garmin eTrek GPS or another model such as the Garmin 64s.




No comments:

Post a Comment