Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Getting Your GPS Ready For Your Fall Hunt


Tune up your GPS before you leave for the woods.  "Dump the junk" and be ready for the backcountry.

With Elk season approaching, last month was range time with my favorite rifle.  I spent several hours sighting-in that rifle and testing my preferred reloads.  Altogether, I’ve spent probably five hours shooting, adjusting and cleaning my firearm.  Then I am spending time getting gear together, going through my check list to make sure I won’t leave anything behind.  I am all done right; wrong.

If I am like the average hunter I am only about 90% complete.  To ensure that all my preparations are done correctly I need to factor in my land navigation.  I have a few suggestions to get your GPS receiver ready for your trip.
  • “Dump the Junk” – Delete those old waypoints from last year. Save old waypoints on your PC by using a free program found at www.easygps.com, or write them down on a piece of paper. Don’t use your GPS as a filing cabinet.
  • Open the GPS’s main menu option and then select tracks. Select the option that allows you to clear your tracks or track log. Tracks are what folks call the “bread crumb” trail and can be seen on your map page.
  • Visit your receiver’s manufacture’s web site to see if there are any software updates. You won’t improve the maps that may have come preloaded but upgrades will improve the efficiency of your receiver’s operation. Only download the upgrade that specifically matches your GPS.
To read the rest of the post go here 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment