Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

GPS Accuracy - An Update

This post is a follow on to an older article that I just "re-posted."

I'd like to add a few other considerations.

Remember, that quality and accurate navigation takes time and practice.  Just because the hunter has a GPS that might be five years old, there is no reason to think it can not provide accurate data; it can.  It just takes time.  Recently while deer hunting in Oregon's Cascades heavily timbered forest I found that my position fixes took noticeably longer to acquire than when hunting or hike the open high desert area.

I'll always take a look at my satellite information page to see how many satellites I am tracking.  Give the GPS time to do that job. 

Notice the part of the graphic to the left that  indicates     +/- 27 feet, that is the accuracy of your position data.  This information is an approximation.  If the hunter received data were to say, 150, I'd recommend remaining in position and let the GPS continue to process.  Allow this information to drop to 30 feet.

If the hunter has an older GPS and the receiver just doesn't seem to be tracking enough satellites, turn and face in a southerly direction.  The GPS constellation is roughly below 60 degrees north.  For those in the Pacific Northwest, most of the satellites will be to the south.

Back up you GPS navigation with your map and compass. Attempt to triangulate you position on the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment