Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wool in Winter

Is wool the right material for you during winter backcountry travel?

My friend Leon has an interesting post about how well wool performs as winter wear.  Interesting too are the comments from two of his readers.

"While there are synthetic clothing options available, for my money, nothing beats wools in winter. Where I live in Central Oregon, wool is my favorite material for pants about six months out of the year. Also, the material is fire resistant, and stays warm when wet.

Wool can also be inexpensive: Last fall at the local surplus store, I got a lightweight pair of wool pants for $7.95. And once you find a good wool garment, it will last seemingly forever. My old Lands End red wool sweater has served me well for the past 20 years, and it’s still going strong."

To read the rest of Leon's post go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment