Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Monday, November 12, 2018

Backcountry Travel Plan




After the loss of James Kim in the Oregon back country in 2006 I wrote a hiker's trip plan and posted it on my blog.  I had input from several valued sources.  I wanted something better for the wilderness traveler.  A plan more than a note to a neighbor.  My intent was to provide the search responders something valuable to go by.

In far too many SAR missions, the reporting party has little information for the searchers to go on to begin their search.

My plan can be found here.  It is a basic .pdf form.

Suggestions are certainly welcome.


911 Call center
Still, that responsible person plays a huge role in contacting authorities to begin a search.  My recommendation would be to pick a person that will make the 911 phone call without hesitation.

Travel safely.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the loss Blake. Happy that you are helping out other hikers with you blog posts. I have recently started Trekking and I make sure I follow the trails and don't get excited to find my own route.

    ReplyDelete