Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Evaluating a Back-up Compass

Should you carry a back-up compass in your pack?  What kind of compass should you consider?

I wrote the following post in August 2012 for www.seattlebackpackersmagazine.com.

In my backcountry land navigation class, I am frequently asked about the need to carry a back-up compass. Students are generally interested in a lightweight model that is low in cost, small in size, and would “fill in” as needed.

I purposefully evaluated several models that many consider to be back-up options. When choosing a back-up magnetic compass, the hiker must ask himself, “What are my priorities? Accuracy? Reliability? Cost? Size and weight?”

To read the rest of the post go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment