Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Free Topo Maps Online

Maps by Gmap4.

Gmap4 is the free online mapping tool that I use for planning hike, backpacking, and bushwhacking trips. I like it because it has some of the most accurate digital maps available online and lets me rapidly compare different maps from several different sources. That is probably the most important feature for me because so many free and commercial digital online maps are so out of date, a problem I’ve written about previously. Being able to compare older ‘historic’ maps, aerial and satellite images, and up-to-date digital maps in one tool helps me determine the best route for my hikes. (I still refer to local printed maps, which are still the most up to date, but harder to plan a route with). 

To read the rest of sectionhikers post go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment