Map, Compass & GPS

Map, Compass & GPS
Wild flowers along Fall Creek on the way to the Green Lakes - Oregon

Monday, June 9, 2014

Cast Iron Cooking - Restoring a Treasure

Leon is a master Dutch Oven chef.

by Leon Pantenburg

Dan’s urban “survival training” came from Boy Scout Troop 18 in Bend, Oregon. He, along with most of his buddies, earned the cooking merit badge. The requirements included learning how to cook outdoors over a campfire, using aluminum foil or a cast iron Dutch oven.

Dan’s oven is a cast-iron, 10-inch Lodge-brand oven that can be used both indoors and outside. It is the same brand, make, model and size of oven I have used at least weekly for nearly 30 years. When I bought my new oven, it seemed expensive.


But Dan’s oven was free because it was slightly rusty and dirty from being stored in an old garage for years. A little elbow grease restored the cast iron to like-new condition.

To read the rest of the post go here

I really like my cast iron.  I do have a few garage sale pieces.  Some looked pretty rusty so I just had them sandblasted.  One guy charged me $20, another just wanted a 6 pack of Coors light.  Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment